Causes of nasal polyps
Allergies are generally divided into two types and the polyps they cause, which include allergic and inflammatory polyps.. The cause of polyps is still not fully understood. There are several reasons for nasal polyps. Nasal polyps are associated with various diseases of the nose and sinuses. The most common disease with nasal polyps سینوزیت Are chronic.
In chronic sinusitis, polyps are scattered throughout the nasal cavity.. These polyps cause obstruction of the sinus duct and گرفتگی بینی And cause sinusitis, nasal congestion, mouth breathing and sore throat.
Allergies and infections are among the factors that increase the possibility of nasal polyps. Some other effective factors in the formation of nasal polyps are::
- Allergy to aspirin
- Cystic fibrosis, a genetic disorder that leads to the production and secretion of thick mucous fluid from the mucous membrane of the nose and sinuses..
- family history
Since nasal polyps can block the natural flow of air through the nose, it is also associated with complications, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea and breathing interruptions during sleep
- Nasal and sinus infections (Rhinosinosis)
Diagnosis of nasal polyps
Your doctor can usually based your answers to questions about your symptoms, a general physical exam, and a nose exam, make the diagnosis. Polyps can be seen with the help of a simple lighting device. Other diagnostic tests include::
- Nasal endoscopy. A narrow tube with a magnifying lens or small camera (Nasal endoscope) It enables the doctor to perform a detailed examination of the inside of your nose and sinuses.
- Imaging studies of nasal polyps
Images obtained with computed tomography (CT) They can help your doctor determine the size and location of polyps in the deeper areas of your sinuses and the extent of swelling and irritation. (inflammation) To evaluate. These studies may also help your doctor rule out other possible obstructions in your nasal cavity, such as structural abnormalities or other types of cancerous or noncancerous growths..
- Allergy tests
Your doctor may suggest skin tests to determine if allergies contribute to chronic inflammation. With a skin scratch test, a few drops of allergenic ingredients (Allergens) They are inserted into the skin of your forearm or lower back. Your doctor or nurse will then observe your skin for signs of an allergic reaction.
If a skin test is not done, the doctor may do a blood test that shows specific antibodies to different allergens..
- Cystic fibrosis test
If you have a child with nasal polyps, the doctor may test for cystic fibrosis, an inherited disease that affects the glands that produce mucus, tears, sweat, saliva, and digestion.. The standard diagnostic test for cystic fibrosis is a non-invasive sweat test, which determines whether your child's sweat is saltier than most people's..
- blood test
Your doctor may test your blood for vitamin D deficiency, which can be associated with nasal polyps.
When should you see a nose surgeon?
If your symptoms last more than 10 days, see your doctor . Symptoms of chronic sinusitis and nasal polyps are similar to many other conditions, including the common cold . In these cases, call emergency medical services :
- Serious breathing problems
- Worsening of symptoms
- Double vision, reduced vision or limited ability to move the eyes
- Severe swelling around the eyes
- Increasing headache with high fever or inability to roll forward
Nasal polyp surgery
Nasal polyps are now operated on endoscopically. Endoscopies are lenses . Which enters the nose and is machined with a series of auxiliary devices. The type of treatment that is initially considered is medical treatment, corticosteroid therapy is oral and inhaled. But in many cases surgery is needed. With endoscopic surgery, all the sinuses and nose can be removed from the polyp. The result of the treatment is usually very satisfactory..
In principle, polyps have a chance of recurrence after manipulation. The person has the main complication of allergy in the blood, and if he does not eliminate the allergy complication with proper treatment and prevention, there is a possibility of recurrence of the polyp complication.. But chronological surgery is generally recommended. If a person has a complication due to a polyp. That is, the person has unbearable breathing problems. And drug treatment is not responsive, in which case surgery is recommended.
But if the treatments are correct, endoscopic methods are actually functional and very functional. And its systems have improved a lot in terms of performance. With post-sinus endoscopy care and repeated examinations, the right treatments can minimize the complication and recurrence rate.. There is no way to say that the recurrence rate is zero. There are recurrences but in general جراح بینی Must determine if the patient needs surgery..
Care after nasal polyp surgery
Post-operative care is done for quick recovery, which include:
- Avoid being in dusty areas after surgery.
- from smoking (سیگار) Avoid for 2 weeks as it slows down the healing process.
- Do not consume hot drinks for 2 weeks, because they lead to nosebleeds.
- It is completely normal to have some pain after surgery, which can be relieved by taking painkillers.
- Avoid strenuous activity as it increases the chance of bleeding.
- Avoid driving for a week.
- Do not keep your head down for a long time.
- Keep your head and neck elevated while resting with the help of two pillows.
- To wash the blood clots inside the nose, use washing serums.
readable articles :
- Eliminate nasal congestion
- What effect does rhinoplasty have on the face? !
- Is a person who has a realistic expectation from the operation and is not under pressure from others to perform the operation.
- Male Rhinoplasty
- Excess meat after rhinoplasty surgery
- Gynecological natural nose surgery Dr. Majid Rasti
- Sample of semi-fancy nose surgery
- Important considerations after rhinoplasty surgery